Wednesday, June 23, 2010

This really had nothing to do with my day, except it was a cute picture I snapped at a red light while I was driving. Yes, I know, it was dangerous.

Today was my brother's last day of class. I took him & his friend, a girl named Gabbi, to Juice It Up. All this made me realize was how different people are, and not everyone is like me. Later, his friend Adam came over and I drove them to Spectrum, then went and had some shaved ice with Steve. During this time, I applied to three different places- 85C, Crepes, and Ramen.

I was thinking about this and I also talked to my mom about this. Yanbo was wrong. I'm not spoiled. If it comes down to it, I will work. &more than that, I am willing to do any work. I don't think the term is "humble" here, but I can't think of another word to describe how it is. In this economy, I understand that life isn't the way it should be. Yes, I am only charging 15/hr for SAT tutoring, but people don't seem to realize that it is ridiculous to demand 30/hr, in this economy, with my UCR background. If I came from Harvard, then it'd be different. Sad, but true. &I don't care, I'm willing to work around it.

The reason I say this is because, I think of people like David's dad and Yanbo's dad. Both, when they came to America (or Canada, in Yanbo's family), were adults. However, in order to support their families, they took on very humble jobs. David's dad washed the dishes in the back of a Chinese restaurant, was probably paid below minimum wage and under the table. Yanbo's dad sold fish. Both are jobs that most people.. even kids like us.. are loathe to take. &I can think of quite a few people who would refuse to work there.

But right now? If it were me... it it actually mattered... I would suck it up and I would work there. That's why, even though my dad and some people don't think I should be charging as low as I am and that I "deserve more," the fact is that I DO HAVE to work because I have bills I must pay, and I am willing to work in food services even if I think I "could do better." Beggars can't be choosers, and I'm a surviver.

But I know Yanbo disagrees with me.

I'm not a little princess. Srsly. *pout pout

No comments: