Thursday, October 07, 2010

I'm really proud of this creme brulee I made. The dark sprinkles is ground cinnamon, and I made this completely from scratch! (I used the egg whites in a spinach omelet later). I didn't have the little torch for the sugar, so I stuck it in the broiler for 2-3 minutes.

[Actually, I made 4 of them, but I only took a picture of this one.]

RECIPE
5 egg yolks (discard whites, or save for omelette)
1 pint of heavy cream
1/4th cup of sugar (more or less, depending how sweet you like it)
vanilla extract (as much as you want)
nutmeg
cinnamon

PREHEAT OVEN TO 370
1. mix yolk & sugar together until fluffy
2. in saucepan, heat heavy cream and vanilla extract, a little cinnamon until VERY hot but NOT boiling (it will curdle)
3. mix a little of the yolk and hot cream
4. pour the rest of the yolk into saucepan, mix well
5. pour into ramekins, top with nutmeg & cinnamon
6. bake in waterbath for 30 minutes or longer, until it jiggles like jello slightly in the middle
7. when it's done, fridge it overnight or 2 hours
8. CRUNCHY TOP: sprinkle sugar over the top, then broil it or use a torch

No comments: